I’m as big a fan of girls’ softball as I am of my annual prostate exam but there is a lot to be discussed in this particular play.
1. Why in the world did this umpire signal safe?
2. Is this a situation that even counts as an “appeal”?
3. Doesn’t the runner have to touch a base before he be signaled “safe”?
4. Why was this umpire standing at 1BLX with a runner advancing to the plate from 2nd base?
5. What should the umpire have done about all the players being on the field?
6. Any repercussions for the 3rd Base Coach who almost beats R2 to the plate?
7. Why isn’t there a definition of the word “safe” in the rule book?
8. Bonus Question: Why do softball umpires make the “OUT” signal in such a weird way?